DU PAQUIER c.1740 – 1744. Viennese Hard-Paste Porcelain.

A Large 18th Century Du Paquier Porcelain Dish. The Thickly Potted Shaped Dish is Decorated with `Scattered Flowers`.

SOLD


$ 0.00


Categories: , , .

The Dutchman Claude Innocentius du Paquier founded a porcelain factory in Vienna in 1719. For almost twenty-five years it was the only rival to the first factory producing hard-paste porcelain in Europe, Meissen, which began making porcelain after a few years developing the technique in 1710. In 1718 Emperor Charles VI rewarded Du Paquier by giving him an exclusive patent to manufacture “All sorts of fine porcelain…such as are made in East India and other foreign countries, with far more beautiful colours, decoration, and forms with the help of local workmen and materials”. Despite this bankruptcy led to Du Paquier selling the factory to the state in 1744.
The present example is similar to a service that was purchased by Prince Liechtenstein, Joseph Wenzel or possibly his nephew Johann Nepomuk, from the Vienna factory in 1746. According to the record book of that year it comprised of 115 pieces. However, as this was a popular type of decoration it is possible the present example was from a different service



Condition: Rim chip to the front, see photograph.

Size: Diameter : 33 cm (13 inches)

Provenance:

References:

Stock number: 21733.