Jiajing 1796 – 1820. Chinese Armorial Porcelain Dish with the Arms of The Honourable East India Company.
A Chinese Armorial Porcelain Dish with the Arms of the Honourable East India Company, Jiaqing 1796-1820. Finely Painted with the Coat-of-Arms of the Honourable East India Company with the Motto “Auspicio Regis et Senatus Angliae” (By command of the King and Parliament of England).
Some small restored chips, mostly confined to the brown enamelled rim, some wear to the gilding.
Size: Length : 37 cm (14 1/2 inches)
An oval dish of this armorial design and shape but of a slightly smaller size (27.3 cm) is illustrated in : Chinese Export Porcelain in the Reeves Center Collection at Washington and Lee University (Thomas V. Litzenburg Jr. Third Millennium Publishing London 2003. ISBN 1-903942-19-5) page 250, plate 252. For a pair of rectangular tureens and covers of this armorial design formerly the property of Earl and Countess Mountbatten of Burma and last Viceroy of India see : Fine Chinese Export Porcelain and Works of Art, Christie`s London, May 15th 1995, lot 220. For a very similar but smaller (29.5 cm) oval dish from this armorial service see : Fine Chinese Export porcelain and Works of Art, Christie`s London, 23rd April 1990, lot 86. For a pale of this design dated to c.1800 see : China for the West, Chinese Porcelain & other Decorative Arts for Export Illustrated from the Mottahedeh Collection (David S. Howard and John Ayers, Sotheby`s,1978) Volume 1, page 202, plate 201.
The Honourable East India Company, Jiaqing Period :
This well known and very large service was made for the Honourable East India Company residences in India, Madras, Bombay and Calcutta during the Jiaqing Period (1796-1820). What survived was was bought back to England by successive Governors of the company as well as Earl and Countess Mountbatten of Burma and last Viceroy of India (see references below). The `Diana Cargo` (Christie`s Amsterdam, March 1995) contained a range of dishes of different sizes from this official service. The ship was heading from Canton to Madras, the base for one of the official Residences, when it sank in March 1817. It is likely these dishes were replacements. Unfortunately when the porcelain was recovered the overglaze decoration was a shadow of its original finely enamelled and gilt painting.