Possibly Kama No Tsuji Kilns c.1690 – 1730 Japanese Porcelain
A Rare Japanese Moulded Porcelain Rhomboid Form Dish c.1690 – 1730. Decorated in Blue and White with the Katagami Zuri Stencilled Technique and Hand Painting. The Central Stencilled Geometric Design is Based on Japanese Textiles. The Reverse with Painted Karakusa Scrolling Foliage, the Base with a Running Fuku Mark (Luck). The Cut Rim with a Fuchibeni Iron-Oxide Dressing.
Size: 15.7 cm (6 1/8 inches).
Provenance:From the collection of Japanese porcelain belonging to Spence family, removed from Japan in c.1941.
These pieces of Japanese blue and white Arita porcelain were inherited from her mother by Miss Joan Spence who was born in Kobe, Japan. This type of Arita blue and white porcelain was made for the Japanese market and was not exported, consequently it is not commonly found in the West. Shortly before Japan`s attack on Pearl Harbour on the 7th of December 1942, all foreigners were obliged to leave the country with immediate effect, taking only one packing case with them. With the help of their Korean driver and her father`s contact, Joan and her mother managed to escape with eight cases on board a ship to Vancouver. Apart from some pieces that were given away, this collection of blue and white Japanese porcelain has been largely kept in tact since it left Japan in c.1941.
Stencilled Designs :
This technique adapted from textile production was employed contemporaneously at the Nabeshima kiln, and although apparently a mass production technique, it has been suggested that it was actually reserved for use on more expensive porcelains, because of the cost of the actual stencils; the object being to produce patterns of a standard or identical appearance. This class of porcelain was produced at the Kama no Tsuji kiln in the Nangawara valley for a comparatively short period between the years 1690 to 1730 and was made primarily for the domestic market. It has been suggested that the production of this style of porcelain stopped because the skilled workers were subsequently employed at the Nabeshima kiln.