A Finely Decorated 18th Century Du Paquier Porcelain Teabowl in the Manner of Ignaz Preissler.

A finely decorated 18th century Du Paquier teabowl c.1730. Very finely painted in Schwarzlot heightened in gilding, probably by a Viennese or Bohemian Hausmaler in the manner of Ignaz Preissler, with battle scenes depicting including the bombardment of a fortified city, heavy cavalry including an officer opening fire with a pistol, pikemen and others in fierce combat.

SOLD



Condition: The rim has a small amount of light polishing, there is a minute rim chip c.1 x 1 mm.

Size: Diameter : 8 cm (3 1/4 inches)

Provenance:From an American private collection of early European porcelain. Collectors number to the base B.9.

References:A similarly decorated teabowl and saucer, probably by the same painter, was in the Georg Tillmann Collection, Hamburg, published by G. Pazaurek, Die Deutsche Fayence- und Porzellan-Hausmaler (1925), I, ill. 218. Pazaurek tentatively attributed the decoration to a Vienna Hausmaler of around 1730 (p. 245). Two further similarly decorated teabowls and saucers are published by A. Müller-Hofstede, Der Schlesisch-Böhmische Hausmaler Ignaz Preissler, in Keramos 100 (1983), p. 28, ills. 39 and 39a, where the decoration is attributed to Ignaz Preissler.

Stock number: 24659

Du Paquier Porcelain :

The Dutchman Claude Innocentius du Paquier founded a porcelain factory in Vienna in 1719. For almost twenty-five years it was the only rival to the first factory producing hard-paste porcelain in Europe, Meissen, which began making porcelain after a few years developing the technique in 1710. In 1718 Emperor Charles VI rewarded Du Paquier by giving him an exclusive patent to manufacture “All sorts of fine porcelain…such as are made in East India and other foreign countries, with far more beautiful colours, decoration, and forms with the help of local workmen and materials”. Despite this bankruptcy led to Du Paquier selling the factory to the state in 1744.
The present example is similar to a service that was purchased by Prince Liechtenstein, Joseph Wenzel or possibly his nephew Johann Nepomuk, from the Vienna factory in 1746. According to the record book of that year it comprised of 115 pieces. However, as this was a popular type of decoration it is possible the present example was from a different service.

 

Hausmalerei / Outside Decorated :
The term Hausmalerei refers to porcelain decorated outside the factory. This outside decoration was done by enamellers who worked at home using small enamel kilns. Painters from the factory sometimes worked at home after hours, this happened at Sevres as well but the Royal control was such that this was an even less common occurrence, but workers from either factory were severely punished if they were caught. The term Hausmalerei is used for German decorators who painted on Meissen and Du Paquier porcelain. Sometimes pieces from a slightly earlier period were used, plain white porcelain was normally used but decorated pieces were also embellishments to make them more saleable. Hausmalerei decoration was in existence before the Meissen Porcelain factory started. Other outside decoration was being added by painters in Holland, at Delft and other towns, on Japanese and Chinese Porcelain. In England too, pieces of Chinese porcelain, especially Blanc de Chine were being decorated as early as 1700. This type of painting is not referred to as Hausmalerei but as over-decorated or rather disparagingly as `clobbered` decoration.

Stock number: 24659.