BERLIN c.1770 – 1780 German Hard-Paste Porcelain
An 18th Century Berlin Porcelain Trembleuse Chocolate Cup and Saucer c.1770-1780. The White Porcelain is Decorated with a Bas Relief Basket Work Border. The Base with the Under-Glaze Blue Sceptre Mark of the Berlin Porcelain Factory and an Impressed `M`.
- In perfect condition.
- Diameter saucer : 11 cm (5 1/2 inches)
- Stock number
Berlin Porcelain, 18th Century :
The first porcelain factory established in Berlin was set up under the agreement of Fredrick the Great by the textile manufacturer Wlhelm Kasper Wedely in 1752. The King, who initially gave assistance lost interest as the porcelain was not of good enough quality. Wedely, who was hoping for information about porcelain production, as well as moulds and workmen from the Meissen factory after the Seven Years War was disappointed to receive nothing from Meissen and no help from the king. He gave up production in 1757. Fredrick the Great allowed a new porcelain factory to be started by Johann Ernst Gotzkolwsky. Secret information was purchased and the new factory started production in 1761. It was run by Johann Georg Grieninger who retained the position until his death in 1798. By 1763 the King had purchased the factory where 146 staff were now employed. This new ownership gave the factory enormous advantages, including free fuel, as well as protection from competition. Alarmingly Fredrick started a new scheme, the so-called "Jew`s porcelain", by which his Jewish subjects had to buy and export 300 thalers worth of porcelain before they were allowed to buy property or marry.