MEISSEN c.1730 German Hard-Paste Porcelain
An 18th Century Meissen Porcelain Saucer in the Style of Chinese Batavia Ground Blue and White Porcelain c.1730. The Base with an Underglaze Blue Crossed Swords Mark for Meissen and an Impressed 12.
- Very good, small uneven chip or firing fault to the footrim.
- Diameter : 11.8 cm (4 3/4 inches)
- Stock number
Meissen Blue and White Porcelain :
Armin Allen (see References) States "Underglaze blue decoration was an early priority for the Meissen factory as Augustus the Strong (1670-1733) was anxious to produce there wares comparable to the Chinese blue and white porcelain he found irresistible. This Challenge was met by the arcanist, David Kohler (d.1723) around 1720, and the finest Meissen blue and white porcelain was made in the few years surrounding his death". The designs of the second quarter of the 18th century are in imitation of Chinese blue and white porcelain. The during the 18th century the Meissen porcelain factory struggled with producing blue and white porcelain of an even blue tone and so a relatively small amount was produced.
Meissen Porcelain :
Meissen porcelain was the first hard-paste porcelain, or true porcelain to be developed in Europe. Development of this new hard-paste porcelain by Ehrenfried Walther von Tschirnhaus started in 1707. When Tschirnhaus suddenly died, the recipe apparently was handed over to Böttger, who within one week announced to the Elector that he could make porcelain. Böttger refined the formula and with some Dutch co-workers, experienced in firing and painting tiles, the stage was set for the manufacturing of porcelain. In 1709, the Elector established the first Meissen porcelain factory, placed Böttger`s laboratory at Albrechtsburg castle in Meissen and production started officially in 1710. In 1720 Johann Gregorius Höroldt became the director and introduced brilliant colours which made Meissen porcelain famous. The next sculptor, Johann Jakob Kirchner, was the first to make large-scale statues and figurines, especially of Baroque saints. His assistant was Johann Joachim Kaendler; in 1733 Kirchner resigned, and Kaendler took over as chief "modelmaster". He became the most famous of the Meissen sculptors. Under his direction Meissen produced the series of small figurines, often depicting scenes of gallantry, which brought out the best of the new material. His menagerie of large-scale animals, left in the white, are some of the high points of European porcelain manufacture. His work resulted in the production of exquisite figurines in the rococo style that influenced porcelain making in all of Europe. Supported by assistants like Johann Friedrich Eberlein and Peter Reinecke, he worked until his death in 1775. In 1756, during the Seven Years` War, Prussian troops occupied Meissen, giving Frederick II of Prussia the opportunity to relocate some of the artisans to establish the Königliche Porzellan Manufaktur Berlin. With the changing tastes of the neoclassical period and the rise of Sèvres porcelain in the 1760s, Meissen had to readjust its production, and in the reorganization from 1763, C.W.E. Dietrich of the Dresden Academy became artistic director and Michel-Victor Acier from France became the modelmaster. The practice of impressing numerals that correspond to moulds in the inventory books began in 1763. Sèvres styles and ventures into Neoclassicism, such as matte bisque wares that had the effect of white marble, marked the factories output under Count Camillo Marcolini, from 1774.